Using metaphors is a great way to get kids thinking more abstractly. I posed this question to the class last week:
HOW CAN OUR CLASSROOM BE COMPARED TO A WAKA?
The initial responses were slow to come out but as more students contributed they seemed to quickly grasp the idea I was intending.
Here are their ideas:
- secure (after asking for some elaboration … being safe)
- working together / teamwork (everyone as a team)
- contributing equally (everyone doing their share)
- towards a destination (we discussed what our destination is as a learning community)
- participating (joining in)
- perseverance (keeping going even if you have had enough, finding it hard)
- chief directs (we discussed that the teacher does not always have to be the director.. that students can be sometimes too)
- supporting each other (encouraging our peers with their learning and efforts)
After the second week we continue to foster a supportive…
View original post 43 more words